Finding solace at home is important to me.
Whenever life gets tough, I want to know I have a place to go where I can feel soothed and consoled.
We have just moved into our “Nanny Flat” while our daughter and her family are in the “Big House” while they build their home.
I just have to say I am loving our new space and the one thing that is important to me is
Realizing that I have a safe, strong shelter from the storms of life is comforting.
Therefore, I strive to have a home where I find solace.
Even on my way home, I begin to think about ways to create soothing spaces throughout.
I believe that one of the most necessary purposes my home serves is to provide me with a place of respite.
At the end of a busy or particularly challenging workday, I look forward to returning to my haven.
My home is peaceful, solitude, with the noises of family and makes me feel better.
During the end of 2019 and into 2020,
I was doing a heap of travel overseas, throughout Queensland and interstate and as a complete introvert, I need to find a space to shut down and renew before I headed out again.
Finding solace at home is important because I believe that everyone deserves a safe, secure spot to return to.
I know that I need somewhere to go that helps me revive and rejuvenate.
I need these spaces to allow me to ignite my creativity again and give me space to shake off any negativity that may have attached itself to me during my travels.
The peace that my home provides helps me get ready to face the world again.
As I have mentioned before, I am a Cancerian – introvert (and I mean introvert) so home to me is my shell, my cover, my shield and I so need to take cover some days and just let the world travel by without me.
The space to do that is my HOME.
Like a crab shell, my home embraces me with stillness, security and safety.
Also, like the crab, I take the time to rest and grow.
Then, I can go forward to meet the next day with renewed vigor.
Today, I am pleased that my home provides me peace and comfort with all that is going on in the world and the fact that we are now isolated in our homes.
I really need to make sure I am reaching out because I could so easily become accustomed to this homely lifestyle.
I continue to create and sustain places that provide solace in my home because this is important to me.
- Winter rugs and throws.
- Plenty of cushions around the lounge and bed (yes hubby is always asking me but why?)
- Beautiful cups and teapots with a very big variety of tea flavours. One I had in Sydney recently I would recommend for anyone who is not a great lover of green tea is Geisha Girl Green Tea by T2.
- Warm lamp and lighting for those cooler nights when we want to create a warmer atmosphere.
- Scarves, hats, gloves, and coats for those nights we might venture into the garden and light up a fire pit and sip our Grandfather Port through Tim-tams. (Oh yeah – you need to do this at least once this winter)
- Flowers a must-have for me in winter in my home even if it is just the greenery from the garden and a couple of roses still in bloom.
- Music – love music and a variety for each mood are also a must-have.
- Quiet – today it was so quiet that even in my office working I could hear the Willy Wagtails singing out the back – what a joy to hear them and they just went on and on for ages.
- Grounding this is one of the most important for me. A walk on the grass outside with bare feet in the warmth of the sun. When I have been travelling at the rate I was and lately now being isolated, coming home and getting a cuppa and taking off my shoes walking on the grass outside in the sun.
- A recharge from Heaven. Reading something inspiring – uplifting. An array of book titles filling the bookshelf. A must for this winter I would recommend is Maria Shriver – I’ve Been Thinking. If you get on audio the reflections are awesome.
What makes your home a special place to savor?
- Why is having a place of comfort to return to at the end of a busy day so necessary especially if you are one of our essential workers right now, you need a place of respite and comfort more than ever?
- What can you do to ensure that your home provides you with serenity and solace?